Thursday, August 26, 2010

Grocery Shopping

Is there anyone out there who actually likes grocery shopping? If you exist, will you please go shopping for me? Cause I'm usually on the verge of a nervous breakdown by the time I get to the canned fruit aisle.

First, I have to navigate my car through these psycho New York drivers to get there...and that is no simple feat. Then, if I have managed to even remember my list, I must march up and down aisles, comparing prices and quality, resisting impulse buys, and making sure I get everything from that aisle I need, otherwise I have to wheel my squeaky cart (I always get the squeaky cart) all the way back across the store. If Rebecca isn't in tears by this time, I am. As we approach the checkout counters there is always the mad dash to the shortest looking line, which always ends up moving the slowest. Then we have to stand in line where I have some options of what to do to pass the time. I can either stare at the candy to my right, or Jake Pavelka's goofy smug smile smeared across US magazines to my left, or sneak peeks at what the person in front of me is buying for dinner. Next I fork out cash to the kid who never looks anyone in the eye, and is often texting, then get back in the car and fight my way home.

So, in an attempt to counter the effects of this sanity straining weekly tradition, I have come up with some ways to try to streamline the process.

First step: spend as little time as possible in Stop&Shop or ShopRite. The above description bears no resemblance to the happy, fairy land experience of Trader Joes. They are always playing oldies in there, and more than once, the entire store has broken out singing along. It's like a musical in there. Unfortunately, our Trader Joes is almost 30 minutes away, and about the size of my pinky toe. It should be called TJ junior. So, I do have to do some shopping elsewhere.

Step Two: plan out meals about 10 days in advance and then shop for exactly what you need. This has helped me cut down on the "Oh man I forgot the ________" moments.

Step Three: create a master list of what I usually buy. Place it inside a sheet protector and hang it on the fridge. Have a dry-erase marker nearby, and mark what you need as you need it. This cuts down on my "inventory" time.

Step Four: try to have Matt go shopping for you as much as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Ryan and I have laminated shopping lists on our fridge..He copy/pasted the logos of the stores we go to frequently liky target/costco/toms farms/and misc then we write down what we are out of or need in dry erase marker, then when we go shopping we just take our list with us.

    ReplyDelete